Find Help

How to Find Help

Who can help if I need medications to help with depression?

  1. A family doctor may prescribe antidepressant medication(s) if you have some symptoms depression.
  2. A psychiatrist will have more specialized knowledge in the treatment of depression. Seeing a psychiatrist is recommended if you have moderate to severe depression or have already tried some medication without improvement in symptoms.

To search for a geriatric psychiatrist by geography, check out the Geriatric Mental Health Foundation website here.

Does health insurance cover treatment for depression?

Many health insurances, including Medicare, cover visits with a psychiatrist and/or talk therapist. However, the amount of coverage varies by insurance plan. You can call the phone number on the back of your insurance card to talk with someone specifically about your coverage for mental health care.

What should I do if I’m concerned about problems with memory and problems with mood?

A good place to start is first getting an appointment with a medical doctor (family doctor, psychiatrist, or neurologist) for an evaluation. Bring a family member or trusted friend to your appointment. Speak openly with the doctor about problems you have noticed. You may be referred for scans of the brain. You may also be referred for pen-and-paper testing with a neuropsychologist, who is a psychologist who specializes in function of the brain. Together, these evaluations may help to determine what is causing your symptoms and what treatments are appropriate.

My family member does not recognize their symptoms and does not want to see a professional for help. What can I do?

It can be hard to see a loved one suffer with a mental disorder and not get help. Depression itself can make people withdraw and want to be alone. It is best to stay in the life of your loved one during their depressive episode and continue to gently offer opportunities for them to engage with the world. Encourage them to reach out to someone they trust – a friend, colleague, or spiritual leader. Perhaps they would be open to working with a talk therapist or counselor. Recovery from depression is very possible but can take time. Read more about supporting a loved one with mental health issues at

Helpful Links & Additional Resources

Psychiatric Treatment for Older Adults at Emory

For hospital admission & assessment information, call 404-728-6222

For clinic appointments, call 404-778-5526.

Step 1: Press 1 for “Outpatient Services.” Hold for next prompt.
Step 2: Press 2 for “Adult & Geriatric Psychiatry.” Hold for next prompt.
Step 3: Press 2 for “Geriatric Psychiatry”

  • Emory Transitions Outpatient Programs work with persons who need intensive counseling and medication support. Programs are 3 or 5 days a week, many health insurance plans are accepted.
    To learn more or start a program, call 404-728-6975.

Help for those without health insurance coverage

  • Community Service Boards provide public mental health services throughout Georgia – Visit Website 
  • Grady Health System provides mental health treatment for adults with a wide variety of mental illnesses to the Greater Atlanta area – Visit Website

Help at home for older adults or persons with physical disabilities

Help can be found through your local Area Agency on Aging. For a directory of local agencies in Georgia, Visit this Website

In Atlanta, AgeWise Connection (Atlanta Area Agency on Aging) connects persons age 60+ and persons 18+ with physical disabilities to services and supports in the community. Services may include information and referral, case management, transportation, home-delivered meals, senior centers, legal services and more. Call (404) 463-3333 or go to

For other related concerns

  • To access mental health, substance abuse and crisis services 24 hours a day 7 days a week call the Georgia Crisis and Access Line at 1-800-715-4225 and visit their website.
  • Geriatric Medicine Services at Emory Healthcare
    Call 404-778-7777 and visit this website.
  • Emory Alzheimer’s Disease Research Center 
    Call Cognitive & Behavioral Neurology Clinic at 404-778-3444 and visit this website.
  • Emory Movement Disorders Program
    Call Cognitive & Behavioral Neurology Clinic at 404-778-3444 and visit this website.
  • Emory Clinic Sleep Center 
    Call 404-712-7533 (SLEEP) and visit this website.
  • For information on local Aging and Disabilities Resources, contact the Atlanta Regional Commission / Atlanta Area Agency on Aging call 404-463-3333 and visit
  • Resources for Older Adults and Caregivers in Georgia Click here
“You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.”
C.S. Lewis